The importance of having a metabolically correct breakfast
Is your BREAKFAST( aka. breaking the fast) metabolically correct?⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
It doesn't matter if it's at noon or upon waking up, what you choose to put in your body as the first meal of your day matters. If your breakfast is unbalanced or high in simple carbohydrates it creates an insulin surge that makes you prime to store fat for the rest of the day. No matter what you eat for lunch or dinner, your body is ready to store fat.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
WHO WANTS that, right?
If your goal is to get leaner, having breakfast might aid you to lose weight. Research shows that regular breakfast eaters tend to be leaner and more successful at losing weight—and keeping it off—when they eat breakfast.
Remember that 95% of diets fail, and you need to use as many tools and make small changes in your food behavior to avoid relapsing.
Research also shows that having breakfast:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
꙳ normalizes blood sugar (insulin regulation)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
꙳ supports healthy adrenals (hormonal regulation)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
꙳ helps people to fit in more food groups that they might normally have trouble fitting in (like veggies and fruit)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
꙳ improves cognitive performance
Each person is unique and will require a different balance of macronutrients for optimal health, however, we wanted to share some general guidelines to be used as a starting place to shift your food choices: ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Aim to have at least 30g of protein from a variety of whole foods (eggs, veggies, lean meat, oats,...)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Aim to have a protein, a healthy fat, fiber (like berries or veggies) and low glycemic carbohydrates. Your lowest carbohydrate intake should be at breakfast. Remember that quality matters!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Prep more: get into the habit of meal prepping by batch cooking. Use Tupperware (glass or BPA-free) to pack your breakfast and set yourself for success⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- To aid in fullness, try to "eat" your breakfast (chewing your food as opposed to drinking it)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Are you in a rush or do you need a pre-workout meal? Protein shakes work well for a quick breakfast. Aim to have a snack later high in protein and moderate carbs to recover and promote muscle growth & repair.
So whether you're too busy or just not hungry in the morning, here are five breakfast ideas that are nutrient rich and easy to prepare.⠀
EGGS & AVOCADO
GREEK YOGURT & CHIA PARFAIT
COCOA BLISS SMOOTHIE
1 cup of milk
1⁄2 cup full-fat coconut milk
1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 tablespoon of nut butter or coconut butter
1 shake of cinnamon ⠀⠀⠀⠀
✉ Need help with nutrition? Book your free consultation today!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀